Beautiful Versatile Affordable Specially designed for the British Hi Fi market by David Shaw in Leicester.
Broadly similar to our HP8 our new (MP 3) is a mini hi fi amplifier using the same chassis.
The conventional way to provide a headphone output on an amplifier is to drop the power through a resistor. This has a big problem in that it provides very high source impedance (rather like a weak battery). The effect of this is to give very “Low FI” results. Ideally headphones should be driven from small high quality amplifiers. Many headphone amplifiers use small “microchip” amps which although are a better solution still do not provide ideal matching to the wide range of headphones available. The MP3 has a special low power transformer winding to give precise headphone matching.
Our MP3 is in fact a small integrated hi fi amplifier. We use a custom wound multi-tap output transformer which provides perfect matching to virtually any headphone load. We start with a substantial mains transformer with matching power supply and two output transformers. The MP3 tops the scales at 6.5kg, giving you an idea of how
much iron you get for your money!
Like our other models the MP3 has no printed circuit board and is all hard wired with top quality components. We use silver Teflon audio cable, gold plated terminals and
the famous “ALPS” volume pot for sonic purity.
The first stage gain uses the excellent Mullard designed ECC83. this wonderful valve has exceptional detail and fluidity.
2x5w (RMS) doesn’t sound like much but it can give surprisingly good results in an office or bedroom environment where high sound levels are not required. Indeed, used with high efficiency speakers (e.g. Lowther/Fostex etc) it will fill a room with full range sound.
Like our other amplifiers, close attention has been paid to the finish of the MP3. It uses the same “Bullet Proof”* build (*Hi Fi News/Hi Fi Choice) as our other amplifiers with a combination of anodised alloy plate, stainless and painted steel. We do not use “tin and plastic”!
For space saving we have used the same “lengthways” chassis as our phono pre-amp so it will fit nicely alongside your existing equipment, with the connections on the rear, and headphone socket at the front.
Specifications and Features
• Comprehensive manual supplied
• Full instructions for valve change included
• All hand wired point to point
• No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ sound
• Japanese Blue ALPS volume pot.
• Class A, all Triode driver circuit
• 2 x EL 84
• 2x ECC83 first stage valve
• 2x 5w RMS continuous per channel max
• Signal to noise level -90db
• Freq response better than 20hz-20kHz +0 –0.2db
• Total harmonic distortion typically less than 0.2% 1khz
• Suitable for 4 to 10 Ω loudspeakers
• Suitable for 4-60 Ω headphones
• Japanese steel EI transformers with low oxygen copper
• Slim profile design
• High quality 2W metal film, & wire-wound resistors
• Blue LED mains indicator
• Polypropylene audio capacitors
• Silver PTFE audio cable
• Custom hand wound output transformers
• Ceramic valve holders for minimum leakage
• Gold plated Input & speaker terminals
• One line input
• 350mv input sensitivity.
• 230/240volts 36 watts.
• C E, ROHS and WEEE compliant where applicable.
(Specifications subject to change, errors & omissions excepted August 2011)
1 Year Warranty
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Decibel Hi Fi users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.