ONLY ONE COPY AVAILABLE.
Almost Blue is an album by Elvis Costello and the Attractions. It was recorded May 1981 in Nashville, and released on 23 October 1981. The record's songs consist entirely of country covers, including works originally written by Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, George Jones and Gram Parsons. It is Costello's first album not to be produced by Nick Lowe.
Contemporary critical reaction to Almost Blue was mixed, with Trouser Press labelling the album "surprisingly clumsy" and "a dud", while Robert Christgau gave it a grade of B- and Rolling Stone gave it an overall positive three-star review. In recent years, Allmusic rated it favourably, and Rhapsody praised the album, calling it one of their favourite cover albums.
Album cover was designed by Barney Bubbles. The design is an homage to the 1963 Blue Note album Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell. Many versions of the artwork were made, with slightly different base colours.
It originally appeared with a warning label that read "WARNING: This album contains country & western music and may cause offence to narrow minded listeners." An alternative label read "WARNING! This album contains country & western music and may produce radical reaction in narrow minded people."
This re-release by Mobile Fidelity from the original mastertapes is on 180g virgin vinyl.
- "Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do)?" (Hank Williams) – 1:40
- "Sweet Dreams" (Don Gibson) – 3:00
- "Success" (Johnny Mullins) – 2:41
- "I'm Your Toy" (Gram Parsons, Chris Ethridge) – 3:23
- "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down" (Merle Haggard) – 2:09
- "Brown to Blue" (George Jones, Virginia Franks, Country Johnny Mathis) – 2:40
- "A Good Year for the Roses" (Jerry Chesnut) – 3:10
- "Sittin' and Thinkin'" (Charlie Rich) – 3:02
- "Colour of the Blues" (Lawton Williams, George Jones) – 2:21
- "Too Far Gone" (Billy Sherrill) – 3:28
- "Honey Hush" (Lou Willie Turner) – 2:15
- "How Much I Lied" (Gram Parsons, Pam Rifkin) – 2:55
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Decibel Hi Fi users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.